History Of The Trades Club
The Trades Club was built in 1923 as a joint enterprise by half a dozen local trades unions. This was back in the days when Hebden was a thriving centre for the cotton industry. The unions levied a one penny contribution from each member per week, and when finally built, the building was equipped with a fully sprung dance floor for the purposes of ballroom dancing. It’s still there, though probably used for more energetic dancing than its designers originally envisaged.
As the cotton industry declined and the factories closed down, the building fell into disuse. It was taken over by the combined Hebden Bridge and Luddendenfoot district Labour parties, who appointed a Building Management Committee to administer the building. The Trades Club Social Club has leased the first floor since 1982 from where we operate as an independent socialist members club. In May 2016 the Club was formally constituted as a members’ co-operative.
The Trades Club is a celebrated venue for live music and has for several years running been voted into the finals of the NME Small Venue of the Year Awards. The last few years have seen the club updating its facilities with a new stage, PA system, mixing desk & LED lighting rig. Alongside the live music the venue is a community hub that is committed to hosting political events and fundraisers for local and international campaigns.