History Of The Trades Club
The Trades Club Social Club (to give it the official name) was built in 1923 as a joint enterprise by half a dozen local trades unions. This was back in the days when Hebden was a thriving centre for the cotton industry. The unions levied a one penny contribution from each member per week, and when finally built, the building was equipped with a fully sprung dance floor for the purposes of ballroom dancing. It’s still there, though probably used for more energetic dancing than its designers originally envisaged.
As the cotton industry declined and the factories closed down, the building fell into disuse. It was taken over by the combined Hebden Bridge and Luddendenfoot district Labour parties, who appointed a Building Management Committee to run it.
The club is now a celebrated venue for live music and was this year voted into the finals of the NME Small Venue of The Year Awards. The last 18 months have seen the club updating it’s facilties with a new stage, PA system, mixing desk & LED lighting rig. Alongside the live music the venue is a community hub that is committed to hosting fundraisers for worthy local and international campaigns.